Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Learn Yourself


I was listening to one of my favorite songs by the band The Beautiful Girls in the car a couple weeks ago after church. I really love the lyrics of some verses in the song Learn Yourself. They are as follows.

"Just like the holy scripture talks, of a road to redemption in amongst the thorns. The path is beset by ego and greed, and if we don't see then we won't ever be free."

"Along the path we walk we've only got to find. Along the path we walk we've only got to find. Along the path we walk we've only got to find. Our own heart own mind, our own heart own mind Our own heart own mind, our own heart own mind."

The verse reminds me of a lot of things. The first thing that comes to mind is Matthew 7:13-14 (ESV). Along with other verses that can be found that have the same kinda idea.

Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

I also thought of The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost. I'm not going to add the whole poem to the blog but I encourage you to sit down with the poem that we have all read at some point or another in our life and analyze it after reading the verses from Matthew. I feel as if the whole premise of the song, Matthew, and the poem is to find that freedom that brings us peace. But how do you find freedom with the ways of the world and the challenges and decisions in requires. I have personally tried not to think of my decisions as taking one path or another, or doing the right thing or the wrong (because that can be complicated and difficult in many cases). Instead I try to answer whether the decision I am about to make will lead me closer to God (a much simpler questions that I usually have no trouble answering)? Kinda strange to get that from song lyrics, a poem, and some Bible verses, but it shows me the importance of reflection, studying, and prayer in the grand process of 'learning yourself.'

No comments:

Post a Comment