Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Job, not Job!

I was hanging out with a youth minister the other day (Richard!) and he was telling me a story about a kid in his youth group that I though I would share. He told the kid that they were going to be reading a passage from Job and asked him to please turn to the verse. The kid immediately flipped to the table of contents and started looking for the book. However, around 10 minutes passed as the youth minister got occupied with other things. He asked the kid if he had found the passage yet, and he insisted that there was no "Jobe" in the Bible. He explained that Jobe was actually Job. We laughed about it, for some reason I thought it was really funny. Anyway.

Speaking of Job, I just finished reading it after a friend told me it was one of her favorite books. To be honest, I hadn't read the whole book before. It was interesting and contained a ton of truths and speculations. I am surprised people don't study it more. A verse that I found to be intriguing was 28:28, because you can read so much in the OT that so-and-so is "God fearing." However, I can say that I always wondered what that really meant and it is interesting to get Job's opinion, considering his position.

And he said to man,
'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding.'
-Job 28:28

Also, I found Elihu (ch. 32-37) to be an interesting character as he portrays suffering as a means for the righteous to be ruined in their sin so they can resist temptation in the future. God's reply to Job (ch. 38-41) afterwords was intense, but the analogies were cool to read as we see a bit of who God is. In the end I enjoyed reading Job's confession and repentance, and maybe something gone unnoticed by some, his forgiveness of his friends. I think the whole premise of the book and the way it's written is much different that anything else in the Bible. Its philosophical discussion and divine intervention of an issue that is still argued over today just proves the relevance that the OT maintains.

No comments:

Post a Comment