Sunday, November 28, 2010

Doubt

People have their doubts. That is certain. Many people have doubts in their faith, the Bible, who Jesus was, and if there is such a thing as justification. In fact, because of doubt and skepticism, many people do not seek any of these things. I think that is the beauty of faith. Faith in Christ that gives us salvation removes, or at least pardons, all the human imperfection associated with doubt. I look back at the gospel and the life of Jesus and see many people that chose to follow him, and others who sat in his presence and still did not believe. Even the people that were the closest to him, like his own disciples, doubted Jesus and his motives at times. Luckily for us, Jesus was well prepared to deal with our ignorance. Despite what someone might believe about Christ, his miracles, his message, the resurrection, descent, and ascension, one thing cannot be denied. That is, we cannot ignore the way in which the followers of Christ, then and now, experience God. Today I look at the way the Holy Spirit works in my life and can identify how I experience God in a magnificent way. But what we may not realize, is that people like the disciples experienced God in the same way years before us. Proof for the authenticity of Christ can be seen in the drastic changes in the lives of the disciples. They did not just hear the great commission, but they became it. Take the story of Paul for example. A man that once persecuted Christians became one of the leaders of the commission, even after Christ was gone from this world. Then there is my favorite example in doubting Thomas:


Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe."
Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

-John 20:24-29


The Incredulity of St. Thomas by Caravaggio


The disciples lives were radically changed through the experience of Christ and the acceptance of his message, thus changing the history of the world. Today, people are experiencing these same radical changes. I encourage you to look at your own life or someone you know, and reflect on how through the experiences of justification and sanctification, their has been radical changes. One thing is certain, in the skeptical world we live in, God is alive and at work changing the world today. Through the Bible and the founders of the Christian faith we know that this is only because of the message and opportunity provided by Christ. And to that, there is no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment