Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pompeii, Italy

The last two days I have been hanging out in Pompeii. The first thing I want to say about the ruins, is that they are much larger than I expected. As a kid I was always somewhat fascinated by the whole Mt. Vesuvius explosion and the idea of peoples' lives being frozen in their death. The actual ruins are larger than the current city of Pompeii, which is unfortunately a metropolis of the nearby Naples (a horribly dirty city, don't go visit).

Literally, the last two days all I have done is eat and walk through the uncovered ruins of old Pompeii. I have been blessed to have walked and talked to many important people involved in the excavation. I have got personal tours and been able to see artifacts that aren't available to the public. The people of Pompeii were, of course, under the rule of the Roman empire during its life before death by explosion. It is unbelievable to see the attention to detail found within the 2,000 year old city. From art (mostly frescoes, architecture, and some sculptures), the organization of the city (places of worship to multiple gods, restaurants, brothels, baths, government, everything had its place), and technologies (marble, engineering, and aqueducts). If you ever get the chance to visit, I would highly recommend it. Tomorrow I take to the the climbing of the murderer, Mt. Vesuvius, and then head to Rome to finish my brief trip to Italia. Throughout this crazy trip, which started out a mess and will hopefully end beautifully, I have been keeping one Bible verse in mind.

Hebrews 13:6
So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my Shepard; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

Check my facebook soon for pictures, too many to try to choose one to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment